What is it?
is a collection of macros that turn
the Nirvana Editor into an advanced
editor. Moreover, an
on-line help is included, that can also trigger
editing commands inside NEdit. (You need Tcl/Tk to
The latest version is 0.9.1 from April 2005, requiring at least NEdit v5.4. Notice that this macro set is not intended to perfectly serve all needs. You can and should customize it to your needs and taste.
What can it do?
- TeX Shell to compile and preview your documents.
- Easy creation of equations and matrices.
- Defining of abbreviations that are expanded for quick text writing.
- Word- and Code completions.
- Listing of labels, sections, newcommands, etc.
- Quick information about references and citations.
- Named snippets, e.g. for saving formulas and inserting them later.
- Inserting of environments, formats, sections, etc.
- Macro to handle external spell-checker (needs Aspell or Ispell).
- Multi-file editing and bookmarks.
This was only a short and incomplete overview. Simply go to the download page and check it out yourself.
The big advantage of using NEdit is that everything is easily
customizable to your own wishes and taste.
Fantasy is not limited. You needn't learn Lisp, learning
NEdit scripting will do. This is easy and
you'll get results quickly.
In this respect the NEdit LaTeX-Mode serves as a tutorial of "how to do it yourself".